There are a few things that inevitably happen when you become a Californian and live in a beach city. Perma-tans (if you can tan), sand everywhere, and a unfathomable love for smoothie bowls. Acai bowls reign supreme, and the fresh fruit here is so abundant, most of it gets added into a smoothie whenever possible.
I had always adored smoothies prior to moving to San Diego, but my obsession with mango was birthed in the finest city. I think the balance of tart mango, and the creamy, sweet banana make this smoothie bowl one of my favorite breakfasts/lunches/desserts. I went through a kick of time where I literally ate one of these a day.
Bordering on out of control.
This recipe is simple, it doesn't even require a printable recipe.
The secret is already cold coconut milk!
I just throw a couple of cans of the light coconut milk from my local Sprout's in the fridge. The light coconut milk won't become solid when refrigerated so stick the recipe, or you will have a weird thick coconut cream to deal with.
One 12 oz package of frozen mango, 1 and 1/2 frozen bananas, and 1/2 cup cold coconut milk (I use the light coconut milk). I would suggest letting the mango and banana sit out for a little bit to soften so you don't give your processor a heart attack trying to break it up. The blender is easier when they are all super frozen, but I find it gets the smoothest in a processor. Also, you can remove all the pieces of a food processor so you can scrape every last tasty bit out!
Once blended, divide them up into big bowls, and top with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup granola depending on your crunch factor! I use about 1/4 cup on mine.
This recipe is so refreshing, it almost tastes like frozen yogurt, which is PERFECT for a hot summer day.
Tart, sweet, and creamy, these super simple mango smoothie bowls, literally taste like sunshine! Three ingredients, four if you count the granola topping, this is easy to whip up, satisfying, filling, and the perfect nutritious treat!
Total time: Less than 10 minutes
Yield: 2 bowls
- 12 ounces frozen mango
- 1 1/2 whole frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup refrigerated light coconut milk
- 1/2-1 cup favorite granola (top with the amount you want)
- Let the mango and banana sit out for about 5 minutes (so your food processor doesn't hop around, or flip out at the hard ingredients).
- If you are using a blender, it will be fine right out of the freezer, but you will have to keep stirring around the ingredients so they blend. Because this is so thick, I recommend a food processor, unless you have a high powered blender like a Vitamix.
- Add mango, banana, and cold (important so that it is super smooth) coconut milk to the processor.
- Blend until smooth and creamy (about 1-2 minutes)
- Portion evenly into two bowls and top with granola! I suggest 1/4-1/2 cup.
- Enjoy! And try not to become addicted!